Saturday, October 1, 2011

Review: Startling By Each Step


I was actually rather skeptical about this drama despite good reviews from friends around me. That was partly due to the historical genre of the drama, as Mainland China drama in particular usually have very strong history background revolving around the drama. Not that it's bad, just that I personally feel if you don't have much understanding about the Chinese history, you'll have a hard time understanding the drama.

Also I'm not a fan of Kevin Cheng so I was even more hesitant to try watching this drama. For me, criteria of watching a drama is number one plot, number two cast. So if both criteria are on the "I don't think I want to try" side, you'll get my point on why I don't want to waste time watching dramas like this.

Nonetheless, I'm glad that I didn't skipped this!

I really liked how the cast was chosen, and I was really amazed by how Nicky Wu brings out the character of 4th Prince. His presence alone was always able to overshadow the other princes every time he appears. And also how he portrays the relationship between him and Ruoxi. Especially the difference between him being cold and indifferent to being sweet and thoughtful.

For a novel that have garnered over 100 million views, I'm not surprised with the rollarcoaster plot. In fact every time I find myself falling for the current episode and wanting for more, anticipating the climax ahead.

What I was disappointed about was that the relationship between Rouxi and 8th Prince was too complicated. I can understand that she was close with him due to the fact that they were related (he was her brother-in-law) at first, to being her lover after. However after they ended their relationship, they were still entangled with each other. Even though the original writer portrayed it as Rouxi values loyalty and friendship, I find that it's just to gradually link to how she had no choice but to leave the 4th Prince in the later part of the drama.

And I appreciate how the screenwriter make Ruoxi return to the 20th century and found trails that she did traveled back to time. I know that a lot of fans were upset that Rouxi and the 4th Prince didn't end up together. But I think that it's not exactly a bad ending. First, she was never part of history so it doesn't exactly make sense that she ends up with the 4th Prince. Also at the museum, the man she saw was just someone that looks like the 4th Prince (since the screenwriter didn't state exactly that it was the 4th Prince reincarnation), so even if they got together he wasn't the same guy who loved her back then. Second, "GIVE US A SEASON 2!" was what I thought after watching the ending (just saying).

What's fated is fated was what I felt after finished watching. Rouxi didn't managed to change history even though she thought she was able to. But we had fun watching how the princes revolved around her and even fell for her.

No comments: